One of the biggest attractions of vaping weed over smoking it is the complete control over the temperature. With vaping, you can pick and choose the best temperature for you, depending on how quickly you want the weed to hit and how potent you want the vape to be. However, with smoking, temperatures can reach as high as 4000° F (or 2200° C), meaning you lose a lot of the plant, as well as that sense of control. So, that begs the question, what temperature is best for vaping? Fortunately for you, we have created an all-you-need-to-know guide on just that, outlining the pros and cons of the three main temperature ranges. Remember, temperature preferences and results depend on the person, the vaporizer, and the strain of cannabis. We recommend that you follow our guide and tinker with the temperature until you find your sweet spot.
What Temperature Should I Vaporize Cannabis At?
Low – (325-350°F / 163-177°C)
The boiling point of THC, the main ingredient in cannabis that gets you high, does not boil until it reaches 315° F (157° C) so any lower than this and you risk not actually feeling anything.
- Best flavor
- Fresh taste
- Nice undertones
- Cooler vapor that is nicer on the throat – less coughing
- Severity of side effects decreases – including red eye, paranoia, and cotton mouth
- Doesn’t leave you exhausted for the rest of the day
- Perfect for newcomers
- Not as potent – You don’t get as much of a high
Medium – (350-400°F / 177-204°C)
This is the best place to start once you are more comfortable experimenting with marijuana. The medium heat range hits harder but without pushing you over the edge. As with most things, the middle of the road is often the most popular.
- Relaxing – Puts you in a meditative state without making you drowsy
- Rich in flavor
- Warmer vapor
- Perfect for people transitioning from smoking
- The THC is more volatilized for a better hit
- Some minor side effects
- The vapor is not as cool and soothing on the throat
- Not as good for wake and baking if you have stuff to do
High – (400-430°F / 204-221°C)
This is the optimum range for extracting the most out of your THC or CBD. Essentially, if you are looking for the most potent hit, this is the temperature range for you. We recommend saving this temperature for the evenings as it can make you lethargic for the rest of the day. We also advise that you keep this temperature for the end of your vaping session if you are a lover of terpenes, as they will deplete rather quickly at these heats. For those transitioning from smoking, this is the closest experience you can get to it, while also being healthier.
- Strong psychotropic effects
- Maximum THC volatilization
- Closest experience to smoking
- Hotter vapor
- Less flavor
- Can induce coughing
- Causes the munchies
- Can make you lethargic